Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Summer Solstice

Happy Summer Solstice!

Did you watch Gold Diggers today?!


(soundtrackcollector.com)

I DIDN'T!!!!!!!

Gold Diggers is seriously one of the best movies ever, and it all revolves around the summer solstice. Every year ever since I was five, I watched Gold Diggers with my mom on June 21st. Every year that is up until last.

We only owned a copy of this cinematic genius of a movie on VHS*, and when we stuck it in our VCR (yes, we still own one, but if it helps, it's a VCR/DVD combo) last year on this date, everything went horribly. The devil VCR ate my precious Gold Diggers and destroyed it. Now I can't watch my movie anymore. And I'm pretty convinced it just wouldn't be the same on DVD. There's just something magical about a good tape.

Happy Summer Solstice? I THINK NOT.

*Side story: Last Thursday, my boyfriend, Wolfman Steve, and I went to see Midnight in Paris at the Sundance theater (it was weird and wonderful- and then there's always that moment when you're thinking about how much of a genius Woody Allen is, but then you remember that he ended up marrying his daughter). They had a poster hanging up in the theater for Bill Cunningham New York, probably one of the greatest movies ever made. When I saw it, I pointed and exclaimed, "When do you think that's coming out on tape?!"Steve pretended to not know me, and when I told my mom this story, she told me I was old. I can't help it if I love me some VHS.

No comments:

Post a Comment